THE LOVELL FAMILY
The Lovell family farm dates back to 1885 when John Cornell, great-grandfather of Jack Lovell, purchased the land and started farming and raising livestock. The farm was passed on to his daughter Grace Cornell and her husband Marker Ellsworth Lovell.
FOUR GENERATIONS OF FAMILY FARMING
The land has been certified organic by the Maryland Department of Agriculture since 1998. In addition to organic practices, the Lovells have established buffer zones to protect the streams. The fenced buffer zones prevent cattle traffic in the streams and provide habitat for wildlife. Natural springs have been harnessed for wells throughout the pastures in order to provide sparkling clean watering sources for the cattle. A twenty-five foot buffer zone provides protection from adjoining conventional farms. In addition, approximately fifty acres of woodland is maintained to promote native flora and provide habitat. In order to provide good stewardship of the land and maintain balance and harmony of the environment, wildlife is encouraged and managed.
THE LOVELL SCHOOLHOUSE
Located on our farm is a one room schoolhouse that was built in 1854 and restored in the sixties by the Lovell family. Ellsworth E. Lovell (Jack Lovell’s great grandfather) taught at the school from 1884-1886, and many Lovells attended school there. It is open for viewing on special occasions and by appointment.
HAPPY COWS MAKE GREAT TASTING BEEF